Monday, October 4, 2010

Halloween time: a PWL treat


Digging through CDs I came across my Japanese Hit factory compilations. Chock full of remixes and random bits I used to listen to them non-stop. One song I had completely forgot about was PWL act 1 on One's "Who's gonna love me?" I recall seeing some promos and interviews in Smash Hits (RIP) magazine back in the 90's. I believe they released 2 singles before the project was canceled.

The song "who's gonna love me?" is in my opinion a bit of a departure from PWL's trademark horns and chugging beats. I would go so far as to say that it has more in common with future acts East 17 and even take That's early work (no doubt the result of having Pete hammond and Harding/Curnow involvement in all projects). Having said that I have only heard the extended 12" so the single version actually may have a bit more oomph and similarities to the 80's SAW sound. What I do know is the 12" mix is a bit synth, a bit dreamy and actually quite nice with some spoken word vocals and lovely piano rift. Perhaps these guys were boring live or maybe they just got lost in the flood of copycat NKOTB and Bros acts that surfaced in the late 80's/early 90's. In any case this is a lost gem.

I've uploaded the mp3 here for you to listen. Let me know what you guys think.

No comments:

Post a Comment